Sunday, December 5, 2010

"How do I get started?"

Eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it."
A person that eats clean generally practices the following:
• Eliminates refined sugar
(I’ve removed all sugar replacing it with honey instead)
• Cooks healthy meals (cook @ 4hrs on Sunday, preparing enough food for 6 meals for an average of 2 wks)
• Packs healthy meals
• Makes healthy choices when dining out
( call ahead to see what they have that fit’s within clean eating guidelines, and now it’s prepared.  If noting I will whip out a ziploc bag of chicken LOL  I’ve learned to put my focus on the fellowship of friends vs what I’m eating)
• Drinks a lot of water (keep 1 gal jug at desk challenge myself to drink more than I did the day before….before the week is out I’ve had a gal before 5 J)
• Eats 5-6 small meals per day
(I eat every 2.5 to 3 hrs.  average 6 to 7 meals a day)
• Eliminates alcoholic beverages (or significantly limits it)

• Always eats breakfas
t (NEVER NEVER NEVER skip a meal)

Confession:  I am not a lover of the gym it is merely a means to an end so I rely on the watchful guidance of my trainer.  Due to the amount of work I put into nutrition atop of the demands of work and parenting I simply did not have the mental capacity to research, plan then execute a workout routine.  Presently I train 6 days a week.  On MTTH I lift for 90 minutes…maybe I will document a week and share…ok I’ll work on that.  On WFSAT I do nothing but cardio for 45 to 60 minutes.  (elliptical/treadmill/stairmaster/stairmill)  If I’m short on time I’ll do sprints or interval training. 

To help get you started in incorporating a workout routine in your schedule I suggest: . 
Take a trip to the gym to see how comfortable you are with working the equipment and understanding what machines work what muscle group.  I’m a retard when it comes to the gym….maybe because I don’t like it.  Most if not all gyms offer a free consultation w/ their in house trainers.  Try it out see if you even like working with someone.  I have a friend who prefers to do it all on her own and enjoys creating her own workout challenging herself with each plan.

I always share that the first rule of action is to make a plan….that way you know the direction you are headed and it wards off any road blocks like the coming holidays.  Once you get a workable plan that includes your family life, working life, social life make healthy eating and exercise a part of what you do.  Don’t just think about it DO IT

“Clean Food List

Protein  (about 20 grams of protein)
Beef (6 ounces): Beef tenderloin, Filet Mignon, Sirloin, Flank Steak, Round Steak, Top Round, Roast Beef, Ground Round, Ground Sirloin. Ground Beef (93% Fat Free or leaner)

Poultry(6 ounces): Chicken breast (no skin) Canned Chicken Breast (Swanson’s), Turkey Breast, Turkey Breast Cutlets, Ground Turkey Breast (95% Fat Free or Leaner), Canned Turkey Breast, Deli Turkey Breast.

Fish(6 ounces): Just about all kinds, the best are: Tuna (canned in water or fresh), Cod, Flounder, Halibut, Haddock, Orange Roughy, Salmon (canned in water or fresh, but limit to twice weekly), Red Snapper, Perch, Pollock, Scallops, Shrimp, Whitefish and
Swordfish.

Other Proteins: 1 scoop Ultimate Muscle Protein(UMP), Muscle Provider (MP), Tofu, LightLife Smart Dogs Veggie Protein Links, Skim Milk, Pork Lop Loin, Smithfield Boneless Pork Chops, Lean Ham, CarbMaster Yogurts, Egg Whites, Hormel Pork Roast, Hormel Beef Roast, Kroger Meals Made Simple Pork w/ Gravy, Laura’s Lean Beef Beef Pot Roast dinner, Kroger Turkey Smoked Sausage, Egg Beaters, Liquid Egg, Lowfat / Fat Free cottage cheese, Light String Cheese Mozzarella, 1/2Dixie Chili, MorningStar Veggie Grillers, Beef Jerkey, Turkey Jerkey,  Gorten’s Grilled Fillets, Canned tuna, canned crabmeat, canned chicken, canned salmon, canned shrimp, ½ scoop UMP mixed with Carbmaster yogurt

Complex Starchy Carbohydrates (1/2 cup)(about 20 grams of carbs)
½ cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal, Quick Oats, Steel Cut oats, Quaker Weight Control Flavored Oatmeal, Cream of rice, Puffed Rice cereal, Puffed Wheat cereal, red potatoes, Yams, 3/4ths cup Special K Protein Plus Cereal, Rice Cakes, Cooked Rice (brown or white), Potatoes, ½ Sweet Potatoes, Beans (white, pinto, kidney or black), Lima Beans, Corn, Peas, 4-6 Triscuits, Barilla PLUS Pasta, Tumaro’s Low In Carb Tortillos,

Fibrous Vegetables (1 cup)
Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Cucumbers, Green Beans, Lettuce (romaine, spinach), Mushrooms, Portabella Mushrooms, Spinach, Tomato, Water Chestnuts, Zucchini, squash, green beans, Red/green peppers, carrots

Fruit (1 serving)
Apple,  ½ cup Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, strawberries, Mango, oranges, Pomegranates, 1 cup Cantaloupe, ½ Grapefruit, Kiwi, Nectarine, Peach, banana (post workout only),

Fat (about 8-10 grams of fat)
8 EFA Gold, Flax Oil, Fish Oil, Olive Oil, ¼ cup of nuts, ½ tablespoon of natural peanut butter, ¼ th cup Almonds, 1/4th cup sunflower kernels, nuts

Miscellaneous
Smart Balance Light, Sugar Free Maple Syrup, Sugar Free Pudding, Sugar Free Jello, Sugar Free Cool Whip, PAM cooking Spray Olive Oil,  Hot Sauce, Welch’s Sugar Free/low sugar jelly, Fat Free Mayonnaise, Light Vinaigrette, Light Italian, Sugar Free Ketchup, Mustard, Hot sauce, Pickles, Salsa

WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER

2 comments:

  1. Hello! This article is great!!! It contains all the essentials of healthy meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first tried to put myself on a right track, I didn't know what to start from... A lot of information, something is complicated, something I already knew before.
    Once I found website of Peter Carvell - personal fitness-trainer - a lot of tips, workouts and relevant information there.
    Check out.

    http://www.free6packworkouts.com/6pack/TheNaftizin7

    ReplyDelete